IDEX Senior Mechanical Engineer in Cedar Falls, Iowa
If you’re looking for a special place to build or grow your career, you’ve found it. Whether you’re an experienced professional, a recent college graduate or somewhere in between, IDEX is a place where you can apply your existing skills and learn new ones in an environment where you can make an impact.
With interesting opportunities in engineering, marketing, sales, supply chain, operations, HR, finance, and more across more than 40 diverse businesses at https://www.idexcorp.com/our-businesses/business-segments/ around the globe, chances are, we have something special for you.
Viking Pump, Inc. - A Unit of IDEX Corporation is searching for a Senior level Mechanical Engineer to join our team in Cedar Falls, IA. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will have the exciting opportunity to oversee research and design projects for specialty pumps from start to finish.
Working in a team orientated environment, serves as design engineer for new products, performs development design work of new and derived products; exercises initiative, inventiveness, problem solving methodologies and independent judgment in achieving department and section objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conceives and develops design for new or derived products as directed.
Develop product concepts, specifications and development plans.
Develop budgetary estimates for evaluating potential projects.
Project planning and project management.
Ability to handle multiple tasks, assignments and projects simultaneously, ability to influence and lead other departments.
Meet program/project schedules, cost targets and technical requirements.
Generates and documents product design and development records in accordance with company product development procedures and guidelines. (i.e.-project plans, design calculations, test plans, design specifications, etc.)
Prepares and presents project and technical design reviews, both internally to Viking and to Customers.
Develops test plan for product development and design validation.
Writes lab testing work orders, oversees lab testing and documents summary of testing results.
Assists Manufacturing with development of patterns/tooling and related equipment needed for producing new products.
Coordinates implementation of new design through all manufacturing processes.
Prepares catalogue specification and technical publications.
Works with Supply Chain group to evaluate and select vendor supplied parts.
Prepares specifications for purchased parts.
Works with Sales, Marketing and our Customers to ensure the product solution meets the Customer’s expectations and requirements.
Investigates, prepares and implements engineering change notices.Assist Designers and Design Drafters in attaining section work assignments.
Review technical development and call attention to significant new design concepts, new products and materials which may be applicable to Viking products.
Provide technical consultation with factory and field company personnel, customers, and distributors.
Make patent disclosures and assist company in patent applications.Assist in training programs.
Willing and able to undertake domestic and international travel in support of business needs.
Maintain a safe and clean working environment by following applicable procedures.
Assist in other special assignments as required by the Engineering Manager.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
· Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university.
· Minimum of eight years of experience in product design, fluid flow, rotating equipment, or leading projects.
· Ability to read blue prints and understanding of GD&T
OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Personal characteristics should include technical ability, maturity, tact, and diplomacy.
· Good judgment, technical insight into problems, ability to handle ambiguity and effectiveness in completing job assignments are also required.
· Highly effective communication skills (written, verbal, presentation and interpersonal).
· Experience with instrumentation or electronics a plus.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office products including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
· Solidworks 3D modeling and 2D print skills.
· Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Thermal Analysis, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) a plus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS:
· Ability to move within office and manufacturing complex, write by hand and keyboard, and perform general office functions.
· Ability to communicate by speech and hearing via phone and in person.
· Visual acuity needed for close detail work and computer use.
· General manufacturing, warehouse and office environment.
· Must have the ability to effectively communicate with customers, suppliers and all levels of corporate and company personnel.
- Requires frequent contact with Engineering Manager, Technical Customer Service and Support Group, Product Engineering Lab personnel, Sales personnel, Marketing personnel, Supply Chain personnel and Manufacturing Engineering personnel.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please let us know. Likewise, if you are limited in the ability to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, we will determine an alternate way for you to apply.
Viking Pump (an IDEX Business Unit) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity.
Are you ready to join a different kind of company where our people, our culture, and our commitments are centered around providing trusted solutions that improve lives around the world?
IDEX (NYSE: IEX) is a company that has undoubtedly touched your life in some way. In fact, IDEX businesses make thousands of products that are mission-critical components in everyday activities. Chances are the car you’re driving has a BAND-IT® clamp holding your side airbag safely in place. If you were ever in a car accident, a Hurst Jaws of Life® rescue tool may have saved your life. If you or a family member is battling cancer, your doctor may have tested your DNA in a quest to find the best targeted medicine for you. It’s likely your DNA test was run on equipment that contains components made by our growing IDEX Health & Science team.